The Best Beef Enchiladas
This is a wonderful dish full of flavour with mouth watering tender beef! It takes 3 hours to cook but is worth every minute.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 3 hours
900g stewing steak, cut into 1 inch cubes
Sea salt & pepper
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 red onions, peeled & blitzed in a food processor
1 tbsp chilli powder
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
4 cloves of garlic, peeled & crushed
900ml tomato passatta
60ml red wine
1 tbsp brown sugar
250g cheddar cheese, grated
8 flour tortillas
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C/300°F/Gas mark 3. Pat dry the beef with kitchen paper and season with salt and pepper.
2. In a large oven proof casserole dish heat 1 tbsp of oil and add half the beef, brown all over and set aside. Add another tbsp of oil and brown the remaining beef and then remove from the dish.
3. Add the onions with ½ tsp salt, cook until softened. Return the beef to the dish along with any juices, add the spices with ¼ tsp of pepper. Cook until the spices become very fragrant, stir in the garlic and cook for another minute.
4. Add the tomato sauce, wine and sugar and bring to the boil. Cover tightly and place in the oven for 2 – 2 ½ hours until the meat is very tender.
5. Remove the casserole from the oven and scoop the meat out of the dish and place in a large bowl and shred it with two folks. Add a couple of spoonfuls of sauce to the beef.
6. Increase the oven temperature to 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5. Spoon a large tbsp of sauce on the bottom of a baking dish, spread it out to cover.
7. Stir half the grated cheese into the shredded beef. Spoon 1/8 of the beef filling into a tortilla, roll it up tightly and place seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat this and once you have filled all the tortillas spoon the remaining sauce over the top. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and cover the baking dish with foil and place in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and allow to bake for a further 5-10 minutes until the topping has melted and is browning.
7. Serve with a topping of sour cream and mixed salad, enjoy!