This curry is very straight forward to make. It is a wonderful warming & comforting curry for this time of year!
Prep time: 15 minutes (plus 2 hours marinating)
Cooking time: 1 hour
600g boneless leg of lamb, cut into 2.5cm cubes
2 tbsp garlic paste
2 tbsp ginger paste
3 tbsp vegetable oil
3 large onions, chopped
1 green chilli, deseeded & finely chopped
2 green cardamom pods, bruised
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp turmeric
250 ml water
150ml double cream
4 tbsp ground almonds
1 ½ tsp salt
1 tsp garam masala
Toasted flaked almonds
Basmati rice or Indian breads
1. In a large bowl add the cubed lamb, garlic paste and ginger paste. Use your hands to rub the paste into the lamb, cover and set aside in a cool place to marinate for at least 2 hours.
2. In a large frying pan heat the oil over a medium heat, add the onions and chilli. Now gently fry, stirring frequently for 5-8 minutes until softened and golden.
3. Now add the cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, coriander, cumin and turmeric. Stir continuously for 1-2 minutes or until the spices are aromatic.
4. Add the lamb, cook for 5-7 minutes until browned. Stir in the water, bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover the pan tightly and allow to simmer for 40-45 minutes until tender.
5. Meanwhile in a small bowl add the double cream and ground almonds and mix together. When the lamb is tender add 4 tablespoons of the cooking liquid to the cream and stir through. Now add this to the lamb, with the salt and garam masala.
6. Allow to simmer for a further 5 minutes uncovered. Serve on warmed plates with a sprinkling of toasted flaked almonds and rice or Indian breads (or both), enjoy!