Fish Tacos with Homemade Salsa, Guacamole & Chipotle Garlic Mayonnaise
A wonderfully delicious meal to share with friends and family! All the accompaniments can be prepared in advance to create hassle-free entertaining!
Prep time: 30 minutes (plus an hour resting time)
Cooking time: 10 minutes
For the salsa:
3 tomatoes, seeded & chopped
3 small spring onions, trimmed & roughly chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
¾ tsp salt
10g fresh coriander, roughly chopped
For the guacamole:
3 ripe avocados, peeled & chopped
1 lime, juiced
¼ red onion, finely chopped
1 very small handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
2 tbsp of fresh tomato salsa
Sea salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
For the chipotle garlic mayonnaise
2 garlic cloves, peeled
3-6 tbsp chipotle chilli paste
For the fish:
125g plain flour
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried marjoram
2 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
4 cod fillets, cut into large chunks
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
A handful of shredded iceburg lettuce
8 corn or flour tortillas, warmed
1. For the salsa, in a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, spring onions, jalapeno pepper, garlic and salt, then stir until thoroughly mixed through. Let the salsa stand for an hour to allow the flavours to mellow. Just before serving, add the chopped coriander and stir.
2. For the guacamole, place the avocados, lime juice, red onion, coriander and salsa in a large bowl. Mix and crush until you have the consistency you prefer. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. For the chipotle garlic mayonnaise, put all the ingredients in a food processor and whizz for 3 minutes. Place in a serving bowl.
4. For the fish, put the flour, paprika, oregano, marjoram, cumin, salt, pepper and 250ml water in a large bowl and whisk together until you have a smooth paste.
5. Place the fish into the batter and make sure it is well coated.
6. Heat the vegetable in the deep fryer until it is 170°C. Using a slotted spoon gently lower the fish into the oil, cook in batches for 3 minutes. Remove the fish and allow to drain on kitchen paper. Repeat the process until all the portions have been fried.
7. To serve, layer up the ingredients over the tortillas: lettuce, fish, spicy fresh tomato salsa, guacamole and chipotle garlic mayonnaise. Enjoy!
Set of 4 Ceramic Bowls & Spoons on a Slate Base by Arthur Price