Chicken & Spinach Balti
A deliciously tender chicken curry which is very simple to make – perfect for a mid-week meal! Popeye would love this dish!
Prep time: 15 minutes plus up to 1 hour to marinade
Cooking time: 20 minutes
For the marinade
2.5cm/1in fresh ginger, peeled & finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled & finely chopped
1 lime, juice only
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp chilli powder
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp turmeric
1 pinch of salt
2 chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
75ml natural yogurt
For the curry
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 red onion, peeled & finely sliced
2 tomatoes, seeds removed & finely chopped
1 tbsp tomato puree
Splash of water
75ml double cream
150g baby spinach leaves
Small handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
100g Basmati rice, cooked as per packet instructions
1. Place all the marinade ingredients into a bowl and mix thoroughly so that all the chicken is fully coated. Cover the bowl with cling film and place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 15 minutes but ideally 1 hour.
2. For the curry, in a large pan heat the oil and fry the onions for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add the tomatoes and tomato puree and gently cook for a further minute.
3. Add the chicken including the marinade with a splash of water. Pour in the cream and leave to simmer for 15 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked through.
4. Add the spinach and mix through until it is fully wilted.
5. Serve the curry with the rice and a sprinkling of coriander, enjoy!