Chicken, Chorizo & Prawn Jambalaya
Chicken and rice is always a really satisfying combination - with the addition of a bit of spice, chorizo & prawns it becomes even better! This has to be one of the best Jambalaya’s I have ever tasted.
Prep time: 20-30 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
1tbsp olive oil
225g chorizo, roughly chopped
300g chicken breasts, cut into strips
2 onion, roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 large red chilli, finely chopped
1 – 2 tsp jerk or Cajun seasoning
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
2 red pepper, seeds removed & roughly chopped
300g easy cook basmati rice
½ tsp saffron strands, soaked in 1 tsp warm water
250g large raw king prawns, head and shell removed, deveined
Salt & freshly ground pepper
1. Heat a large frying pan or wok until hot, add the oil and the chorizo and cook for 30 seconds on each side until golden all over. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Add the chicken to the pan and cook for 6-8 minutes until golden all over. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
3. Add the butter then add the onion and garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes, or until softened but not browned.
4. Add the chilli and the spices and fry for 1-2 minutes or until the spices are fragrant. Now add the red pepper and fry until softened, 1-2 minutes.
5. Add the rice and stir well so that it is coated in all the spices. Add the water, saffron and the saffron water. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 12-15 minutes or until nearly all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is just cooked.
6. Add the chicken, chorizo and prawns, cook for 4-5 minutes or until the prawns are cooked through. Season to taste and stir carefully.
7. Serve on warmed plates, with a good dollop of sour cream - enjoy!